Monday 31 March 2014

Coconut Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream

So to make up for my lack in blogging and decided I would bake something a little fancier and I had an abundance of coconut in the freezer! This cake turned out amazingly moist and delicious. A very subtle coconut flavour which I was actually surprised by seeing as I coated my pans with coconut oil, added coconut oil to the batter and used coconut milk! Whoa! I actually think my favourite and simplest part was the toasted sweetened coconut! So so tasty and the perfect add of crunch to go with all of the moist, sweet, creamy flavours and textures from the cake and buttercream!


Once my batter was mixed and my cakes had baked, I cooled them on drying racks for roughly an hour and then popped them into the fridge to cool while I whipped up a batch of Swiss Meringue Buttercream from Bakers Royale! It was my first time making it although it seamed to turn out great! I didn't bother to take pictures of the process because she has amazing ones on her blog! I quickly divided each cake into two and added a layer of buttercream between each and then followed with my crumb coat.



I then chilled my cake again for another 30 minutes before putting on the final layer of buttercream and garnishing with toasted sweetened coconut!




Coconut Cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Yields two 9" cakes

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup coconut oil
2 cups sugar
1 can coconut milk
1 tbsp vanilla

Method
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Prep two 9" cake pans; grease with coconut oil and flour
3. Sift flour and baking powder together
4. Cream together butter, coconut oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla & salt
5. Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with coconut milk
6. Divide batter between pans and bake for 45 minutes
7. Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan and place on drying rack
8. Chill cakes prior to dividing layers and icing

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment