Sunday 16 March 2014

Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Hand Pies

First of all, these little pies are so super cute (& delish)! I was absolutely smitten when they turned out!


When I first decided to make these I hadn't planned on making whole wheat pie crust but when I went to make my pastry, I realized that I was almost out of all purpose flour (btw, who runs out of flour when you bake as much as I do! LOL) Anywho, I had some whole wheat flour though, so... whole wheat pastry it is! The same deal w my filling - the only thing I had on hand that wasn't frozen was mac apples (not my usual choice for an apple pie filling but whatever!)

I started by making my filling; apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and a bit of flour!


After that I mixed up my favourite and I think, the easiest, pastry recipe Chef Michael Smith old fashioned apple pie crust. Although I did adapt it because of the whole wheat flour debacle! Once I had my pastry made&rested I rolled it, cut it and added my filling!


Then I assembled! I wet the edges w some water and then sealed them w a fork. They look a little uneven before baking but when they were done they rounded out beautifully! Yay!


Then bake for 25-30 minutes at 350!
Note: I didn't use an egg wash but you could always add it before baking. Personally, I think the crust is a pretty colour already without adding it!




Apple Cinnamon Whole Wheat Hand Pies
Yields 6 hand pies with 4" diameter

Filling
3 macintosh apples
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp all purpose flour

Pastry
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup butter (cold or frozen)
3/4 cup cold water

Method
1. Mix your filling first; peel and dice your apples, add ingredients and then let sit until your ready to fill your pies
2. Mix dry ingredients for pastry together. Grate in your butter using a box grater or whatever you have. Gently mix with fingers so butter is equally distributed. Then add water. Begin kneading until dough comes together. Wrap w plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour or so. (Note: I divide my dough into two, I find it esier to roll out smaller chunks and to portion easier when it is time to do your cut outs
3. Lightly flour surface and roll out dough. Cut out your rounds.
4. Divide filling evenly. Wet edges of pastry w water and add top. Use your fork to seal the edges. If they don't completely stick together, that's okay - they'll come together as they are baking! Score the top of your pastry to allow for steam to escape. (If you are going to use an egg wash - now would be the time to apply it!)
5. Line baking sheet w parchment paper and space pies evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Time may vary depending on oven temperatures.

Enjoy!


Recipe adapted from Chef Michael Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment